On November 12, 2019, Venice has been hit very hard by an extreme level of acqua alta. The water reached a level of 187 cm, just below the record level of 194 cm in 1966, and the scirocco wind blew with speeds up to 100 km per hour. More than 85% of the city was flooded. The ‘paratie’, which people put in front of their doors, were not high and strong enough to protect the houses and shops from the water. The city life came to a standstill: there was no electricity, schools were closed, museums closed, shops and restaurants closed, boat traffic wasn’t possible, and so on.
There is so much damage to the city that it’s almost impossible to list it: the basilica is heavily damaged, many (work)shops are damaged and their products are ruined and can no longer be sold, books and old manuscripts are destroyed, the ovens of the glassmakers in Murano were flooded and the production lost, newspaper stands have floated away, gondolas and other boats were smashed onto the pavement and in the calle and need to be repaired, … If you want to know more about what happened, I suggest you watch the interview with Luisella Romeo or read the articles of Monica Cesarato and La Venessiana.
If you want to help the Venetians, you can start by buying products from the local artisans and shops which were impacted by the acqua alta when you are in Venice or when you shop online for your Christmas gifts. If you happen to be in Venice, you can also join the volunteers of Venice Calls to clean up and help where needed.
On top of that, there are several initiatives which have been created in the aftermath of the acqua alta and which you can support financially. Below you can find an overview. More detailed information is available via the links. I will update it regularly in the coming days and weeks. If you know an initiative which is not listed here, feel free to let me know so I can add it.
- Comune di Venezia: support the city and the residents via bank transfer (IBAN: IT 24 T 03069 02117 100000 018767, BIC: BCITITMM) or credit card
- Fondazione Musei Civici: support restoration projects in the city museums of Venice (IBAN: IT 24 T 03069 02117 100000 018767, BIC: BCITITMM, mention ‘Water emergency contribution / Musei Civici’)
- Ministero dei Beni Culturali e Ambientali: SMS to 45500 (2 euros, only within Italy)
- Duri i Banchi: support the families who suffered from the acqua alta (via PayPal)
- Caritas Veneziana: help locals in urgent need (IBAN: IT65 D030 6909 6061 0000 0006 662, BIC: BCITITMM)
- Diocesi di Venezia: help clean and restore the damaged churches (IBAN IT 22 K061 7502 0010 0000 0098 380, BIC: CRGEIRCC)
- Ca’Foscari University: fundraising campaign for the emergency in Venice (via credit card)
- Venezia Autentica: help local businesses recover (via crowdfunding)
- Fondo per biblioteche e librerie veneziane: support for libraries and bookshops (IBAN: IT 36 V 02008 05085 000105794751, BIC: UNCRITM1B33)
- El Felze: support the artisans who are involved in building gondolas (IBAN IT90 P 05034 02070 000000100273, SWIFT BAPPIT21709)
- Save Venice: preserve the artistic heritage of the city
- Venice in Peril: support conservation and repair of monuments and works of art
Initiatives for a specific cause
- Basilica di San Marco: preservation and restoration of the basilica (IBAN: IT 26 W 05034 02070 000000008033, BIC: BAPPIT21709)
- Querini Stampalia: donate via bank transfer (IBAN: IT 76 O 010 0502 0000 0000 0032 500, BIC: BNLIITRR) or via PayPal
- Querini Stampalia via Biblioteca Oliveriana di Pesaro: support the restoration of the library of Querini Stampalia (via crowdfunding)
- Scuola Grande San Giovanni Evangelista: support the restoration of the scuola grande (IBAN: IT 56 H030 6909 6061 0000 0013 320, BIC: BCITITMM)
- San Lazzaro degli Armeni: help restore the monastery and the cathedral (via crowdfunding)
- Dal Nono Colusi: restore a traditional Venetian bakery (via crowdfunding)
- Edicola Walter: support the newspaper stand on Zattere (via crowdfunding)
- Grafiche Ellemme: help a small artisan printing house (via crowdfunding)
- Démodé Vintage Venezia: support a leather shop (IBAN: IT97N0200812012000103658920, BIC : UNCRITM1A12, or via PayPal)
- Claudia Corò: help a Venetian artist to reopen her studio (via crowdfunding)
- Tramontin gondola boatyard: support the Tramontin squero, now run by Elena and Elisabetta Tramontin (via crowdfunding)
- Chabad of Venice: support the Gam-Gam restaurant in Cannaregio (via crowdfunding)
Let’s support Venice in this challenging time!